Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Experience word for the day. 1. Sackee

When I was a "born again" christian,  some 40 years ago, 
I read a section of scripture every day.
This daily reading came from a little booklet
issued by the Scripture Union organisation. 
I used to be uplifted and transported by those readings, 
so much so that very often 
I wasn't able to concentrate on my job in the real world!
 It was during this period that I received the "sack" on a regular basis. 
I can't count the number of jobs I had back then.
But what I do know for sure is that I became a very experienced "Sackee".
As a writer being a "sackee" is a useful experience. 
It prepared me for all the rejection slips that fluttered through my letterbox!
Today's author is Jeanette Winterson
Why?
Because like me, she was adopted.

No comments:

Post a Comment